Chandler Holbrook was born September
16, 1807 in Florence, Oneida, NY to Moses and Hannah Lucretia Morton.
He married Eunice Dunning on June 22, 1831 in Weathersfield, Genessee,
New York. This union
was blessed with 7 children.
Born-27 Oct 1833
Died-11 Jan 1906
Born-17 May 1836
Died-23 Apr 1906
Born-16 Apr 1838 Died-6 Jun 1903
Born-2 Nov 1841
Died-26 Aug 1917
Born-22 Sept 1844
Died-15 Apr 1900
Born-7 Sept 1850
Died-1 Jan 1941
Born: 7 Dec 1852
Died-2 Oct 1863
Chandler and Eunice adopted an Indian girl named Ruth who married Moshoquop, a
War Chief. Eunice taught her to
cook and clean New England Style.
Chandler had a second wife, Ann Long. They were
married 3 Dec 1859. She was born
Chandler Holbrook was the second of three children.
He had 1 brother and 1 sister.
Jan 1806 and Died-17 Nov 1885 and is buried in Bountiful, Utah.
Born-16 Mar 1810 and Died-18 Mar1874 and is buried in Willard, Utah.
When Brigham Young left Nauvoo to find Zion, Chandler and his family
were members of his company. They
arrived in the Salt Lake Valley September 21, 1848.
October of 1851, two companies of men were formed by Brigham Young.
One group under President Young, would
choose a building site for the new State Capitol and to survey the
city. The other company under the
direction of Anson Call was to create the settlement around the new site.
Chandler Holbrook was a member of one of these groups though it is
unclear which one. At the suggestion of President Young, the new site would be
called Fillmore. Several weeks
after their arrival, Apostle George A. Smith came to Fillmore on a return trip
from Little Salt Lake now called Parowan.
He asked for reports from the citizens of everything they had learned
about the resources of the country around them.
Chandler Holbrook and Orange Warner reported that good timber could be
found ten miles up the canyon but the road would be difficult to make and due
to the lateness of the season, they would have to be content with the
plentiful cottonwoods which grew along the banks of the creek.
President Smith advised them to get as much of the road built as
possible but to go in large numbers for protection against Indians.
Once settled in the new town of Fillmore, Chandler moved
his wife and 6 children from Davis County to Fillmore.
They arrived in Fillmore on Feb 11, 1852. There they remained for the
rest of their lives. Holbrook’s
return trip caused the little settlement much concern as the Indians had
stolen two of his cows and a yoke of his oxen while his party was camped for
the night. This incident caused
the men to enlarge the corral to twenty rods square and to guard the stock at
in the Spring of 1852, Chandler Holbrook, who had been commissioned Surveyor
and Public Notary surveyed the fields on the creek west of town, taking his
line from the east line of public square which Jesse W. Fox had surveyed the
previous autumn. Public Square was
the acreage set apart for the capitol building.
Chandler was elected to the surveyor position in the fall of 1852, and
remained surveyor for many years. With
the arrival of new immigrants needing additional home sites and land, the
surveyor position kept him very busy.
dedicated to his religion, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.
There are many accounts of Chandler and his wife Eunice participating
in leadership positions of their church. He
was the President of Mass Quorum of Seventies, and she the first Relief
Society President in Fillmore. He
participated in “The United Order”. This
was a practice of the “Mormons” but it was reported that not all members
were asked to follow this rule. Brigham
Young thought it best to try it out in different locations and Fillmore was
selected. It was reported that not
all church members in Fillmore participated in this practice.
However, a lengthy, signed copy of the agreement of Chandler Holbrook
assigning all his earthly possessions to the Church was found in the
“Milestone of Millard” (1951), thus proving his dedication to his
religion. This practice was later
abandoned in Fillmore because dissatisfaction arose among the participants.
In 1874, at the age of 67, Chandler served a mission for the church to
the Eastern States.
Chandler was an industrious man, a born leader and businessman.
He owned and operated a molasses mill just East of his home on main
street and was one of the first directors of the co-op store called the
Fillmore branch of the ZCMI. In
the fall of 1859, Chandler Holbrook and 8 other men petitioned the county
court for the right to utilize and control the waters of the Sevier River.
This petition was approved. He
participated in the construction of the St. George, Utah Temple and beginning
in 1867, the first rock schoolhouse in Fillmore was constructed under his
direction. The school still stands today (2003).
He held the position of trustee of the school.
The reference to this position tells of him hiring teachers. Chandler
homesteaded a large amount of land in the “sinks” area West of Fillmore.
His sons, Joseph and Orson C. Holbrook later owned this land.
Joseph’s land was then left to Frank, Grantley and Conrad Holbrook.
The Sinks area, which houses remnants of a volcano, was reported to be
a hiding place for practicing polygamists when the U.S. Marshall came to call.
apparent he was among the number of outstanding citizens and leaders of
Fillmore. It was written in the Milestones
of Millard that “Chandler Holbrook was a builder, surveyor and a leader
in many ways”.
September 3, 1889 in Fillmore, Utah. His
wife, Eunice, who was born April 6, 1810 and died December 30,
1890, is buried at Chandler’s side in the Fillmore, Utah cemetery.